Cucumbers have not received as much press as other vegetables in terms of health benefits, but this widely cultivated food provides us with a unique combination of nutrients. Here are 20 incredible benefits of cucumbers.
At the top of the phytonutrient list for cucumbers are its cucurbitacins, lignans, and flavonoids. These three types of phytonutrients found in cucumbers provide us with valuable antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits.
Organophosphates and other pesticides are often used on conventionally grown cucumbers making them highly toxic, so try to buy organic if possible or rinse thoroughly with vinegar.
20 HEALTH BENEFITS
1. Keeps you hydrated. If you are too busy to drink enough water, munch on the cool cucumber, which is 96 percent water. It will cheerfully compensate!
2. Fights heat, both inside and out. Eat cucumber, and your body gets relief from heartburn. Apply cucumber on your skin, and you get relief from sunburn.
3. Flushes out toxins. All that water in cucumber acts as a virtual broom, sweeping waste products out of your system. With regular use, cucumber is known to dissolve kidney stones.
4. Lavishes you with vitamins. A B and C, which boost immunity, give you energy, and keep you radiant. Give it more power by juicing cucumber with carrot and spinach.
5. Strengthens Joints. The silica in cucumbers helps to strengthen the connective tissues around muscles and joints.
6. Supplies skin-friendly minerals: magnesium, potassium, silicon. That’s why cucumber-based treatments abound in spas. Vitamin K, iron, and calcium all contribute to energy and glowing skin.
7. Aids in weight loss. Enjoy cucumbers in your salads and soups. Try crunchy cucumber sticks with humus.
8. Revives the eyes. Placing chilled slices of cucumber on the eyes is a cliched beauty visual, but it really helps reduce under-eye bags and puffiness.
9. Cuts cancer. Cut down your risk of several cancers by including cucumber in your diet. Several studies show its cancer-fighting potential.
10. StabilizesÂ blood pressure. Patients of blood pressure, both high and low, often find that eating cucumber brings relief.
11. Refreshes the mouth. Cucumber juice refreshes and heals diseased gums, leaving your mouth smelling good.
12. Helps digestion. Chewing cucumber gives the jaws a good workout, and the fiber in it is great for digestion.
13. Smooths hair and nails. Silica, the wonder mineral in cucumber makes your hair and nails stronger and shinier.
14. Alkalizes. Cucumbers return your body to a slightly more alkaline state, which means less disease.
15. Cures Hangovers. Eat a few cucumbers before bed to replenish your body with sugar, B vitamins, and electrolytes and reduce the intensity of your hangover.
16. Soothes muscle and joint pain. All those vitamins and minerals in cucumber make it a powerful enemy of muscle and joint pain.
17. Keeps kidneys in shape. Cucumber lowers uric acid levels in your system, keeping the kidneys happy.
18. Good for diabetics. Patients of diabetes can enjoy cucumber while also reaping its health benefits: cucumber contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
19. Stress Reduction. The aroma from boiling cucumbers and water will calm you down from the inside out.
20. Reduces cholesterol. A compound called sterols in cucumber helps reduce bad cholesterol.